Investment Associate, Real Assets
Reports to: Director of Real Assets
Location: San Francisco, CA
|Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation |
Established in September 2000, the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation seeks to advance environmental conservation, scientific research, and patient care. The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is among the 10 largest foundations in the U.S. and one of the largest private funders of environmental conservation and science in the world.
The Foundation is devoted to the inspirational vision articulated by our founders: “creating positive outcomes for future generations.” This vision guides our mission: to achieve significant, lasting, and measurable results in environmental conservation, science, and patient care—globally and in the San Francisco Bay Area. A set of core values—impact, integrity, disciplined approach, and collaboration—directs our work.
- Headquartered in Palo Alto, CA
- Over $5 billion in assets
- Annual Foundation budget of ~$250 million
- ~80 employees
- Three program areas
- Environmental Conservation
- A San Francisco Bay Area Portfolio that focuses on these same issues locally
For more information, please visit www.moore.org.
The Moore Foundation’s Investment Office manages the Foundation’s investment portfolio with an aim towards maintaining purchasing power, managing volatility and ensuring sufficient liquidity to fund the Foundation’s grant making and operating needs. The Investment team focuses its efforts on managing the portfolio’s asset allocation across a diverse set of asset classes, and selecting and monitoring investment managers within each asset class.
The Investment Associate position is a two-year role supporting Director of Real Assets in managing a global portfolio of real estate, commodities, and natural resource-related investments. The portfolio is invested in commingled funds sponsored by leading real asset managers that employ private equity style structures as well as more liquid strategies. Similar to a “fund of funds” approach, the Foundation does not make direct investments in companies, assets, or securities.
The position provides excellent exposure to portfolio asset allocation strategies as well as investments in other asset classes including hedge funds, private equity, long-only equity strategies, and fixed income.
- Work with Director to develop and implement portfolio strategies by analyzing historical returns and investment trends both domestically and abroad, monitoring current market conditions and assessing relative attractiveness of investment opportunities.
- Work with Director to select new investments by identifying high potential managers, participating in due diligence and conducting detailed performance and portfolio analytics.
- Write quarterly portfolio and market reviews and lead semi-annual review of existing portfolio returns and underlying fund holdings. Present findings from analysis to investment team.
- Track absolute and relative monthly/quarterly performance of all managers in portfolio. Monitor cash flows to/from managers using customized software, and assist Director in projecting future cash flows.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two years work experience in investment banking, management consulting, or investment management required.
- Well-developed quantitative and analytical skills with strong grounding in investment concepts (e.g. capital markets, statistical analyses).
- Working knowledge of financial statement accounting and analysis.
- Advanced Excel modeling skills and familiarity with PowerPoint, Access, Bloomberg and aptitude to learn other database tools and concepts.
|Competencies and Attributes |
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently, ask questions and use judgment. Ability to communicate concepts and distill information in an efficient, user-friendly manner especially important.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal and presentation skills required.
- Two year commitment required. Associates typically pursue advanced degrees upon completion of the program.
|Compensation and Benefits |
Compensation includes a competitive base salary, a performance incentive plan, and an excellent package of health, retirement savings and other benefits.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include Investment Associate in the subject line.
The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All correspondence will remain confidential.